By Deby Stabler
- Think outside of the box. Consider putting holiday money into a scholarship fund or donating to a nonprofit.
- Party like a zero. Integrate a couple of zero-waste ideas into your festivities: bring back the original white elephant to recycle great gifts that didn’t quite suit you, wrap gifts in newspaper comics, or reuse classy gift boxes, bags, and ribbons instead of using wrapping paper.
- Recharge. Give rechargeable batteries and a battery charger to keep batteries out of the landfill.
- Shine on with solar holiday lights. The sunlight is minimal these days, but the sun’s energy will keep bringing light into the night—plus there are no extension cords to mess with!
- Resolve. Incorporate a couple new sustainability habits into your New Year’s resolutions. Visit my Project Azul Verde website waste tips page for some ideas.